It’s Time To Change Things Up

01/30/2014 · 31 comments

in Funny Bitch Friday

I’ve had this blog up and running for about 4 years.

That may not seem like a long time in the realm of all that is, but at least for me, personally, it has been. I started this blog when I was 22, and I am a very different person than I was when I was 22.

At  22, I was an angry person. I was deeply in denial that anything was ‘wrong’ with me, that I didn’t ever feel like I was in control of myself or my life. I protected myself from feeling with humor, with anger. I had no problem tearing people down for comedic purposes. And, for a while, that mentality got me pretty far. I had a couple of posts go viral, one that I am still proud of, and one that makes me cringe when I re-read it, to this day.

As time went on, though, I grew. I went to therapy and I learned a lot about myself, my relationships, and how to help myself and others. How to control my emotions and myself. I got into improv and into the live comedy scene, and I had a realization:

I hate making fun of people for comedy.

I hate it. I hate that it’s the most prevalent form of comedy these days. To call someone a snatch and get viewers. To say that someone’s art is stupid and make a rape joke or two and roll in your laughs. To tear people down for fun and profit.

The thing about mean comedy, comedy that butchers, is that someone is always on the other side of it. If you’ve ever been on the other side, it’s the worst thing. You put yourself out there with your art, put something you created into the world with tremendous courage, and it just takes one person saying it was stupid for laughs to ruin everything.

If you’re gonna tear someone down, tear down the power structure that keeps people down–use satire. Satire aims up with the purpose of exposing hypocrisy and societal terrorism by making us laugh. Mean comedy is calling Jennifer Lawrence fat so you feel better.

While this realization came about, I still felt like I was beholden to what got me followers in the first place: meanness. Hatred. Jokes at an innocent person’s expense. And I loathed it. I knew who I was, what I believed, and how far I had come, but it didn’t really fit in with the ‘image’ of my blog as it had been. What I wrote was no longer who I was, and it showed.

So, on Monday, it’s changing. Pretty drastically. I don’t want to give everything away right now, but I think it’s much better. It’s honest to who I am, to what I want to put out into the world. I’m still going to write for humor, yes, but what I write about is pretty different from what you’ve seen before. I’m even bringing on a couple of really fabulous women who I can’t wait for you to read. The League will be wearing a new coat, too, and it’s so much better this way. A new mission, a new goal, a new face.

On Monday–ALL WILL BE REVEALED. I just wanted to say that once in my life.

So, thanks for hanging with me. Whether you started reading this last week (in which case, strap the fuck in) or you started reading this in 2010, thank you. You’ve been there as I learned about my life in a very public way. You’ve laughed with me and supported me. You kept me sane, and more than a couple of times, anchored me when I didn’t think I had one.

You guys are the best. I won’t let you down.

This Week’s  Thursday Throwdown Wheatley Is:
Laura: Which of your friends are more likely to snap and kill you?
Here’s what it looks like to take that quiz and post it online.

tumblr_n00syz4JM11s02vreo1_400

{ 30 comments }

Mayor Gia January 31, 2014 at 6:35 am

Oooo I’m excited to see the changes!! (And I agree. Mean comedy is fucked up.)
Mayor Gia recently posted..Blogcast 14: Weed and Wills and Cheese

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thanks!!

Abby January 31, 2014 at 7:53 am

I love you, you fierce bitch, you. Now go get a Whataburger and prepare for the waves of accolades sure to soon come your way. ;)
Abby recently posted..Hashing it out with Hashtags

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:31 pm

You don’t even know how much Whataburger I’ve had this week.

Steph January 31, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’m excited. I have a hard time making fun of anyone but myself. I don’t know that it’s because I’m “nice.” More likely, it’s just that I excel at guilt.
Steph recently posted..Blog for Mental Health Project

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Oh man, I am the queen of making fun of myself. And at my sister, but that’s not mean, that’s just because she’s my sister.

nova January 31, 2014 at 8:39 am

Good for you!
nova recently posted..50 links

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Thanks!

Roxie January 31, 2014 at 11:12 am

But still call out the annoying people on their bs, right?

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Oh yes. Calling people out on being huge assholes is another thing entirely.

Heather January 31, 2014 at 11:15 am

Being cynical and mean spirited is the easier route, but evolving beyond that is more interesting. Looking forward to seeing what’s next for you!
Heather recently posted..Blind Spot

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Thank you so much! I’m trying to grow!

Tans January 31, 2014 at 11:44 am

I’ve been following you for the past 2 of 4 years, in a completely non-creepy way, of course. I have to say that while you are one of the funniest people I read, your ‘I’m not funny here” posts are always so damn heartfelt that I can only hope to write as well as you in both categories one day.

Can’t wait to see the new Noa. :)

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I keep rereading this comment because it makes me so happy. Thank you so much.

Misty January 31, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Bring it. I say whatever feels right to you will be the right thing. This blog is YOU. So, whatever YOU you are right now is what we will want to read. Being mean and hurtful is no bueno, I agree. I went through a time on my own blog when I got caught up on what everyone thought I should do (remember the Weekly Whacked? Yeah), but it never really felt right. It was for the cheap laugh, and it was mean and hurtful. You can’t be that person and feel good about yourself OR your writing. So I stopped. And it’s fine. The same will be for you. In fact, it will be even BETTER than fine for you, because you have so much freaking talent that it hurts. Shine on, you crazy diamond. Can’t wait to see what your next chapter brings!
Misty recently posted..What a Big Pickle You Have

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thank you, Misty!

nadine January 31, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I DON’T DEAL WELL WITH CHANGE, I’M STILL ADJUSTING TO YOUR WEBSITE BEING GREEN FOR FUCK’S SAKE.

i keed, i keed (a little). excited to see what new shit you got in store.

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I see the kind of fucked up shit you reblog. You’ll adjust.

Allie January 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Change is a wonderful/terrifying thing, but I know whatever comes from it will be amazing, mostly because it will be authentic. I’ve been following you for over 2 years and I can’t wait to follow you for many more. I didn’t really know that humor blogs were a thing, until I found you (and the incredible bloggers you led me to).

Also, I owe a shit ton of my views to you and the league, and for that, I am grateful. I am also your bitch–so whatever you do has my support! Can’t wait for Monday!
Allie recently posted..American Apparel is Bringing Back the Power Muff and I’m Super Psyched.

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:35 pm

You don’t even know the smile this brought to my face. Thank you so much.

Jaime January 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm

looking forward to the changes… I’m very happy for you and proud of you… you’re funny and amazing and I’m sure you’re going to continue to be funny and amazing.

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Mom?

bschooled January 31, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I’ve never thought of you as that type of humorist, but I agree with your sentiment. There’s a fine line between satire and ridicule, and making fun of innocent people for entertainment says more about the comedian than anything. That’s why I try to confine my sarcasm to those who deserve it (eg. mean girls, chauvinistic narcissists and/or online scam artists.)

I’m excited for what’s in store!

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:35 pm

BEA!!!!

Oh man. You are the best.

ColinP January 31, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Can’t wait to see what happens, I know I haven’t been hanging about since the beginning but I do like where you have been going so far.
ColinP recently posted..Requiescat in Pace Tony Scott (06/21/1944 – 08/19/2012)

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Thanks, Colin. Also? Thanks for bearing with me on the commenting situation!

If I were an Author February 1, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I HAVE just started following you and will brace myself accordingly. Ok….now go!
If I were an Author recently posted..Just let him wear the purple boots

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Strap in.

JP February 3, 2014 at 12:51 am

Thank you, Noa, for maintaining such an awesome blog and sharing yourself in this virtual world. I really enjoy your writing and look forward to whatever changes you have in store for us. As long as you continue to keep using hysterical GIFs.

Noa February 6, 2014 at 7:36 pm