Funny Bitch Friday: David Wong

10/03/2013 · 8 comments

in Funny Bitch Friday

It’s really hard to find a good quality, funny book. Most humor books are memoirs or essay collections, which are great. Sometimes though, I really want to read a well-written, weird, funny novel.

And that’s where David Wong comes in.

images

John Dies At The End is a fantastic and funny book. It has smart humor, it has fart humor, and I loved it so much.

Book Review This Book is Full of Spiders

This Book Is Full Of Spiders, the JDatE sequel, is arguably even better than its predecessor and even funnier.

They’re both a type of dystopian science fiction/horror with an everyman hero–a kind of degenerate everyman, at that. They deal with ridiculous and terrifying situations with humor and true emotions and at many point, very real fear.

Example? One of the heroes jumps his very old car, blasting John Fogerty through a broken sound system, into a pile of burning bodies. He did it all to save the other hero, of course.

Surely, then, these books are stupid and vapid, though. Surely something funny and horrifying couldn’t be smart.

That’s the thing though, I loved these books not just for their humor and their horror, but also for how well-thought-out they were. They dealt with rejection from society, what makes someone a burnout, what makes someone a hero. They dealt with government interference, subcultures, and the kind of maniacal fear that crowds and propaganda mix to make. They deal with death and life and what it really means to even exist at all.

I loved them so much, and I think you might too. There’s even a movie version of JDatE movie, and as good as it is, I still recommend the book over it. You can click the links above to buy them from Amazon and enjoy the fuck out of them.

This Week’s Thursday Throwdown Whitey Bulger Is:
Liz Rosema: Earwigs. Even if that bit about them crawling into people’s ears and munching on their brains is not scientifically accurate – they look like they wouldn’t mind doing that at all.
Here is my new boggart, for you to enjoy.

tumblr_mrj1hhVSpX1qzcv7no1_400

Mayor Gia October 4, 2013 at 6:38 am

I read his stuff on cracked! And what’s wrong with that baby!?!? THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT BABY KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME.
Mayor Gia recently posted..Mermaid Gia

Misty October 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm

That baby is going to give me nightmares. And his dad is going to hell.
Misty recently posted..A Bronytail

Lovelyn October 4, 2013 at 1:43 pm

that baby is terrifying. I can’t look at it anymore.

Liz Rosema October 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm

1.Yay! I won one!
2. I think that baby might have a future in sprinting – sprinting creepily…everyone else in the race will be so stunned by his vacant expression that they will just stop running and stare.
3. I want to read John Dies at the End.
Liz Rosema recently posted..The Spelling Test

Jen October 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, Noa! I’m always on the lookout for funny books that are full of actual stories and The Awesome and not just compilations. I want to go to there. The books, that is. Not the place where that man was awkwardly making an infant run at the camera. He should have done this in front of a green screen wearing one of those magic movie suits that make you invisible. That baby could be the next horror film star. I’m pretty sure that kid is going to be pissed that his dad(?) grabbed his crotch and made him do a creepy crab walk in front of the entire world…
Jen recently posted..Broken dreams smell amazing

Jess Haines October 7, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I loved–LOVED–John Dies at the End. The movie made me weep cerulean tears of sorrow, but the book is one of my favorite things.

Thanks for being hilarious. And having great taste. *thumbs up*

<3,
-J
Jess Haines recently posted..Friday Funnies: Housework

Beth October 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Oh My God the baby!! It’s so scary. But I laughed out of my nose at my desk until I had to go hide in the bathroom and compose myself.
Now this post is about the baby. =)
Beth recently posted..And She’s Back

shannon October 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

Dude, I had no idea that John Dies at the End was a book so now I’m going to have to read it. I actually texted my guy the other day and said “Hey, what was that movie that we found on Netflix, the one where the guy reaches for the doorknob and it turns into a giant dick and balls?” I’m actually kind of excited to go find the books now, so thank you…
shannon recently posted..Excuse Me, Your Fangirl is Showing