Funny Bitch Friday: A Little Different Today.

12/09/2011 · 50 comments

in Funny Bitch Friday, I'm not funny here.

Let’s slow it down a bit today.

I don’t have a funny bitch for you. Well–that’s a lie. She’s fucking hilarious, but I’m going to talk about IAmPisspot for a very different reason. I’ll tell you a little of her story just to set the tone here.

12 years ago, her mother took her own life after struggling with severe and debilitating depression. In her own words, Pisspot spent 1o of the 12 years pretending that it didn’t happen. That nothing was wrong, and that everything was perfectly fine. She (as many of us who’ve done the same thing can attest to) figured out that ignoring the problem only makes it so much worse. You can read about her journey in this post right here. It will make you sad.

Pisspot’s journey shook me, because her story spoke to me because of how well I related to it. I’d done a similar thing for so long. I’d ignored all the hurt and abuse and pain that I endured growing up, and it only has dawned on me recently that some parts of my personality aren’t really my personality at all, but products of the trauma.

We had a small chat about how seeking help and learning to get better is infinitely more difficult than ignoring the problem, but goddamn if you don’t feel better.

She started running for charity. And she kept running. And she ran a little more. And now she’s running 4 races in 4 cities in 2012 because she’s a badass, and also to support MIND, a charity that assists mental illness sufferers. The UK, where she hails from, has a national health system, but it’s not always easy to get the help you need for mental illnesses.

I started going to therapy because I’m a really shitty runner. In the US, it’s not always easy to find the help you need either, but NAMI can help.

As the holidays approach, please remember to take care of yourself, your family, and your friends around you. There is no shame in getting help for mental illnesses. There is no need to live with the pain that someone else inflicted upon you.

You don’t have to suffer silently only to slip away from those you love.

Please go check out IAmPisspot and her journey today. Keep bringing the funny, because sometimes, that’s the only thing that can keep us going.

From Carri: “Pablo took the words right out of my mouth. And by “the words”, I mean “the word penis”. I don’t mean “his penis”. Because that would be awkward. He’s never even bought me dinner.”

Jaime December 9, 2011 at 12:48 am

Thanks for sharing… I like to hear others stories of suicide surivors as my mum committed suicide a little over a year ago … I am just now starting to seek help and it is much MUCH harder than ignoring it.
Jaime recently posted..excuse me while my hand grazes your crotch……

Noa December 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I hope you get the help you need! Be tough!

Jen December 9, 2011 at 12:50 am

I love her so much because I think we are twins separated at birth. As a survivor of sexual abuse, domestic violence, eating disorders and alcoholism I relate to so much of “pisspot”‘s manifesto. I tried to bury my pain in starvation and alcohol and ultimately found my way into the light through running as well. Whomever said you can’t run from your problems was a fucking idiot. Sometimes running is the fastest way toward salvation. Much love to you, my Funny Bitch. Much love indeed. :)
Jen recently posted..Best. Birth control. EVER.

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I imagine you both running through a bacon finish tape, hand in hand.

Christine December 9, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love this. Thank you for sharing her with us. I’ve been fighting depression for over half of my life and sometimes I forget I’m not in a hole by myself. I needed that reminder tonight.

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

You’re not alone! We’re all here with you.

Jerrod December 9, 2011 at 1:08 am

She’s amazing. You’re awesome. Perfect pick on a different kind of Funny Bitch Friday.

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Why thank you.

DogsOnDrugs.com December 9, 2011 at 1:25 am

“Was I Funnier Than Your Grandma? Tell Others:”

On this post, no. Good for you, Noa.

Other resources:

And probably the best thing anyone can do to support those who suffer from depression is to let them know that someone is there for them. Be that someone and let them know!
DogsOnDrugs.com recently posted..Harken To Me, Young Children!

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Sometimes I’m not funny at all, but I try to make those times effective, at least. Thanks for your comments!

Abby December 9, 2011 at 6:17 am

Sorry. She’s mine and you can’t have her. I pimped her out earlier this week myself and lay claim to her attention. However, you can all still donate. I give you my blessing.
Abby recently posted..Senior Moments: Fork Fight

Mayor Gia December 9, 2011 at 6:39 am

I was about to say…I’ve already been following her for awhile, but wasn’t she just making me feel inadequate by being a do-good/do-cool things blogger?

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

YOU WIN, ABBY. Damn.

Mayor Gia December 9, 2011 at 6:39 am

She’s awesome. AND has a great blog name. Good choice.
Mayor Gia recently posted..Christmas Polar Bear

iampisspot December 9, 2011 at 7:01 am

Thanks guys, I’m feeling ever-so HUGELY overwhelmed right now by all the love and support coming my way from the blogosphere…

…I shall retreat back to sitting under my desk for a while…
iampisspot recently posted..The post where I write about my Mum and death, probably cry a bit and then beg you for money. Not necessarily in that order.

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Gia: She’s amazing on all counts.

PissPot: EVERYONE LOVES YOU. Keep being rad.

Monica December 9, 2011 at 8:22 am

Heading over to your blog now, iampisspot. I’m in therapy for depression, and on medication. I go back and forth on whether some of this stuff really happened. It’s like a story somebody told me. But it’s nice to know other awesome ladies have been through a lot and come out on the other side.
Monica recently posted..These aren’t my pants

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I’m in the trenches with you right now, recounting my entire history. It’s like reliving it, isn’t it? One day, we’ll be through it.

Heather Rose December 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

When I’m not busy stalking Noa and her minions, I work for the American Psychological Association. We have a ton of great resources available to the public at http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/index.aspx, and we have a locator service at http://locator.apa.org/ if you want to find a psychologist in your area. We also have an annual blog party for mental health in May, so I’ll bug everyone then to get connected and fight this thing. If you don’t, it’ll set off my panic disorder, and I’ll go crazy and blame it all on you…
Heather Rose recently posted..Cutlavallari. I’m calling it. You can thank me later, Perez Hilton.

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Thank you, Heather. You are too rad to exist.

Marcy December 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

Noa, you make me pee my pants everytime you post, but posts like this are what send you over the edge from hilarious to simply amazing. I’m happy you’re getting the help you feel you need, but I’m mostly happy you can put yourself out there and let others know its okay. Keep being awesome.

Noa December 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm

The credit for this all goes to IAmPisspot. I just got to jack her story for today, but thank you!

Kelly December 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’m always amazed by what brings us all together. Is it truly the funny, or the reasons behind the funny? Being the clown (not scary Poltergeist clown doll clown) was always something to hide behind, and really it still is.

I don’t have the words to fully express how these blogs have lifted my spirits on days that were rougher than others and made me feel “normal” for having days like that. There’s a sense of community, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Kelly recently posted..An Open Letter To My Dogs:

Carrie - Cannibalistic Nerd December 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Well said, Kelly.
Carrie – Cannibalistic Nerd recently posted..I’m Warning You, Don’t Put a Baby in There

Jen December 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’ve found that the brightest, funniest, most amazing people are those who have been to Hell and back. Something about that journey just filters the bullshit from your life and leaves a genuine human being in its wake.
Jen recently posted..Foodie friday : My ‘Happy Place’

Abby December 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I couldn’t agree with that more. I find humor heals, and this will sound cheesy, but I think my blog saved my life. While I don’t talk about that all the time, I think it almost every day.
Abby recently posted..Senior Moments: Fork Fight

Noa December 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

@Kelly: I think I’ll forever hide behind my funny, but now that it’s paying my bills, it feels a little better. We are forever in debt you, Madam Twatwaffle.

@Carrie: Second.

@Jen: Like a terrible rock tumbler?

@Abby: I’m glad it saved your life, because you’re too funny not to be here.

Chrissy December 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

I love this post. Definitely makes you appreciate all you have and all you’ve overcome.
Chrissy recently posted..Reserve Not Met

Noa December 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Absolutely! Every time you hear someone else’s story, it can help to bolster you, too.

wagthedad December 9, 2011 at 10:37 am

Thank you Noa for posting this. It’s often those of us who are the most vocal and irreverent who have the biggest scars to cover up. And most definitely it is more difficult to deal with it than it is to conceal it, except as you seem to have noticed, concealing it eventually gets so exhausting and feels so fake that you’re forced to do something about it.

It’s great to hear that you’ve chosen therapy over running and suicide. I mention the word suicide rather than “slipping away” because I am an irreverent fuck. It certainly is not meant to diminish or devalue anyone else’s experience in any way. Just that I know what it’s like to look at that option dead in the face and – thankfully – say “fuck you, I’m going to be an asshole instead, because being an asshole is healthier than dead.”
wagthedad recently posted..Ms. Wag the Dad 2012: The Runners Up

NCT December 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I had a head doc tell me I was “beyond PTSD” and pharm drugs made me more of an asshole or suicidal, so I drank my way through it. Not recommended, but I never shot myself in the face either. I’m still a healthy asshole at times, but I’ve worked on it some. Not to brag, but Doug Stanhope once told me I was an asshole when I was riding the wild turkey to salvation. Reckon it takes a lot for him to think anybody’s an asshole. I said “fuck you” and ordered another double turkey with a splash of water. I really did have a better punch line for one of his jokes, though. Apparently it’s rude to ever mention that…but it was funny.

This is not to be taken as medical advice, but I am still alive.

NCT December 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm

For the record, was a social situation, I wasn’t heckling in a club.

wagthedad December 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I wish that a doctor had told me I am beyond PTSD. It would have saved me a lot of side effects, one of which was alcoholism. I mean, I have always liked to drink a lot, but while on this particular drug I started sneaking nips on and off during the day (when usually I was your weekend too much beer and wine kind of guy). So then I started reading up on the side effects. Things like “suicide,” “divorce,” and “alcoholism” made me realize maybe it would be healtheir to be borderline schizophrenic.

Actually, more like anxiety disorder, which I could deal much better with alive and married and smoking and binge drinking than having a go at the bad vodka at 11:00 in the morning.
wagthedad recently posted..It’s Your Job to Deal With Your Parents

NCT December 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Remember, symptoms of OCD, PTSD, and the like are natural reactions to unnatural circumstances. Same with trying to drown memories away to avoid confronting them. In my experience, pharm drugs didn’t help one bit. Drinking masked symptoms, which was better than pharm drugs plus you don’t have to see doctors. But it will kill you eventually and it’s expensive.

At the end of the day, figuring out what the root causes are helps more than treating symptoms, which seems to be the want of much of medical practice.

Just as a random example: Running screaming out of a room because you are deathly afraid of non-poisonous spiders is a perfectly logical reaction to seeing spiders if you are deathly afraid of them. In the long run it’s easier to figure out WHY you are deathly afraid of spiders than to try to eradicate them from earth or avoid all spiders for the rest of your life. (Or drug yourself with pharm drugs or otherwise so you don’t care). There are usually workable answers, they are slow, but they do exist.

Drinking and drugs, legal or illicit, are a good way to avoid looking deeply in the mirror. But they don’t fix anything in the long term.

Carri December 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

Thank you for sharing. My mom was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was in 8th grade and nothing hurts more than people on the outside thinking your life is perfect when all you want to do is off yourself. I’m 33 and I’m just now to that point where I’m able to make sense of all the fucked up shit that messed me up for so long. I had a major set back with postpartum depression, but now I’m back.
It makes me stabby when I think about the stigma that is STILL attached to mental illness. Why is it okay to have a disease or illness below the neck? We’ve come a long way since my mom was diagnosed, but the fight isn’t over until people can get the help they need without feeling ashamed and worthless.
PS. I’m sofa king excited that Pablo’s penis earned me the funniest comment. WORD.
Carri recently posted..This Article Was Written By A Man

Carri December 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

PS. to IamPisspot: Go check out http://www.bandbacktogether.com.
Carri recently posted..This Article Was Written By A Man

iampisspot December 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Hey Carri, I LOVE Band Back Together – it’s such a great, supportive website!

Carri December 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

That site is sofa king awesome. Period.
Carri recently posted..One Martini at a Time

Dana the Biped December 9, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Even the funniest bitches have to live in the same damn real world as the rest of us.
Dana the Biped recently posted..I’m About to Make a Million Dollars

Elly Lou December 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Have I told you lately just how lovely you are?
Elly Lou recently posted..Danny’s Uke

NCT December 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

One other thing, if you have musician friends in Central Texas that might need help, point them here if you can: http://www.simsfoundation.org/

Sims and Shandon were classmates of mine in the same grade growing up in San Antone. Probably the only ~sixth grade rock band that blew the doors off a lot of stuff that was on arena tours at a middle school talent show. Seriously. Was a shame. SIMS Foundation has helped keep three of my friends alive that I know of. Music Cares also saved a few, and they are national. http://www.grammy.org/musicares/who-we-are

There’s a lot of better things to be than dead, so keep it above ground. I found a phone book/address book of musician/theater/artist friends from 1992 a couple weeks ago and 90% of the acquaintances and friends in it are dead from things that often involved substance and depression issues, including 4 suicides. When I catch up with old friends anymore, we as often trade notes of who died recently as talk about shows in the past.

Actually accidentally caught a tear typing it. Don’t do it. Your family will miss you and your friends will miss you a LOT. I’m good at “glib and insensitive” because of it, but I mean this. There are a lot of resources out there that are better than an OD or a revolver.

Feryx December 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm

<3 for iampisspot
Feryx recently posted..C.rap Battle

Andi December 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Amazing. I hang with my blog people for the laughs, but the community is just as important, and through that I meet people like iampisspot. It’s true what Jen said, the best folks are the ones who have gone through Hell and KEPT GOING.

I’m inspired by her journey. My Hubs is also a suicide survivor and the child of a suicide survivor, and it is not easy to let go of the anger sometimes.
Andi recently posted..Simplicity 4420 Done and Dusted

Norway December 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

NAMI just came and gave a presentation on suicide at my school. I was nearly crying for basically the entire thing, and all I felt was… Selfish. I’ve never been truly depressed. No one I know has killed themselves. I found myself some new friends last year and haven’t had to talk anyone out of committing suicide since, what, 7th grade? My friends are stable now. I felt like I had no reason to be feeling this so personally, when I knew the girl sitting right across from me had lost her best friend to suicide just the year before, basically shattering the entire school. She had moved on with her life. Why the heck did I feel entitled to being upset? Get some real problems, Norway.

I felt like I was doing something really wrong by feeling a personal connection to this real presentation by people who had real problems. But I was just so incredibly grateful that they were there. I felt like I still needed the presentation. No one has come to me lately for that sort of thing. But next time, I’ll do my best to be ready. I’ll be able to do everything I can to save a life.

Myth December 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Don’t fall into that trap, Norway. My friends and I like to call it “misery dicks”: “Mine is bigger than yours!” “Mine is small. I feel so inadequate.” I know it’s hard not to think that way; I do it a lot myself. I feel like I don’t have a right to feel shitty simply because my mental and physical illnesses are ultimately quite mild. I’m not dying. I don’t want to kill myself. Why should I get to feel bad?

But it’s a big fat lie. No matter how “insignificant” we deem our troubles to be, they’re there. They are real. We have every right to feel bad when there’s something to feel bad about, because it’s not about the degree of severity. There is real pain and real regret and real sadness there, and it’s human to feel it.

Suicide is a very serious, very emotional topic. I’m not surprised that you felt a personal connection to it, because anyone who crosses paths with suicide, in any way, is going to be deeply affected. More than that, it’s a good thing that this issue feels so near and dear to you. It doesn’t mean you’re selfish, it means that you CARE. Even on the rawest gut level of yourself you understand how tragic it is and you CARE, you want to stop it, you want to help. You see and hear about people who are hurting, and it makes you hurt. Not because you’re selfish, but because you’re SELFLESS.

Norway December 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm

There aren’t really words to express how much I want to say thank you. For seeing this, for taking the time to reply and help me figure it out. Thank you.

By the way, misery dicks? That’s freaking BRILLIANT, Myth. I bow at your feet.

Myth December 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm

The hardest thing about being broke and buried in medical bills is not having money to donate to the causes that I want, with every ounce of my being, to help. The hardest thing about being sick, or disabled, or whatever you want to call it, is not having time to donate to the causes that mean so much to me, because all my time is going into things like “not failing all my classes this semester for the third time in a row.”

But for once I have something. I don’t have a lot, just the money I was given as a Christmas gift from my family. But it’s yours, Pisspot. And I’m glad I can say that. It’s way better than that DVD I was planning on getting myself.

iampisspot December 12, 2011 at 2:46 am

Thank you, Myth, I cried my eyes out when I read your comment.

I am so thankful for everyone’s support and beautiful words.

I love you all.