Yo, Adrian.

04/06/2011 · 24 comments

in Adrian, Love

Yo, Adrian,

I love each of the three proposals you did for me. First in Chili’s, on my lunchbreak, saying, “We still have 10 minutes worth of break left, and there’s a JOP right down the road.” Then when you made me a ring out of a twistie-tie (that I wore for 6 months), and then when you hid a ring in my stocking on Christmas Day and my excited shouting scared our nieces.

I love the way you’re always trying to help me write new posts. “Write about how your right nipple itches today. Or how you said earlier today, “He was the douchiest douche who ever douched a douche.” Or about sex. Those things are funny.” Your faith in my humor astounds me.

I love how you shake your head when I am shouting and you know I don’t mean it. I like knowing I won’t drive you away forever when I stand in the back of a U-Haul and yell, “I swear to GOD you bring that box here RIGHT NOW or I am going to stab you in the sternum.” I like knowing you’ll laugh, not get angry and yell, when I shut myself in the closet wearing nothing but mukluks and a bra when I know I’m wrong during an argument.

I love your “varied” and “interesting” (fucking terrible) taste in movies and music. It provides me endless hours of entertainment when you talk about what a good actor Kevin Costner is, and how creative Mumford and Sons is.

I love when we were in Arkansas together and you laid, drunk, on the riverbank with me and sang, “The second pee is the longest,” to our friends who were peeing in the bushes. That rendition of Sheryl Crowe lives on in my memory forever.

I love you in the kitchen, wrestling a pizza out of the oven with nothing but a cutting board and a goddamn pizza cutter and it honestly looks like you have dolphin flippers for hands.

I love you walking two blocks to come get me from a restaurant, just so I don’t have to walk 2 blocks home alone.

I love you doing the YMCA at our wedding with a bottle of wine in each hand. I love you wrestling the 98 buttons off my dress that night with a bic pen (“THIS IS A MIDEVAL TORTURE DEVICE, NOA”), and I love you in fucking Santa Fe the next day (“I certainly wasn’t expecting hippies and shitty art. Looks like we’ll be doing it all weekend. FUCK IS THAT VAL KILMER?”)

I love you here, with me. Whatever trickery I have done to make you love me must have been fantastic.

What’s your love story–of anything? Could be chocolate, face cream (HAH), Ghostbusters–I’m feeling mushy today.

Rebecca April 6, 2011 at 3:50 am

Meeting my boyfriend before I knew he would be my boyfriend: sitting in the back of the science classroom talking about things I would do in the future, not knowing that the kid in the front row would play a big part in it. Getting to know him during my holidays home from my University town, becoming friends and after 2 years realising that no one else would do. Asking him to the cinema a week before I went back to Uni for my final year, watching a movie with popcorn and laughing because the movie was average but we were together, walking home in the evening and taking the long way back, spending half an hour playing in a children’s play area (him nearly breaking my face on a railing because he tripped over the slide while carrying me around.) Lying down on the grass underneath an electricity pylon and chatting about nothing in particular. Asking him by my front door, his reply, and walking around the streets hand-in-hand until 3 in the morning.

Thanks, Noa: now I feel mushy too. The photo is beautiful. And kudos to him for being practical enough to think to use a bic pen to undo all those buttons :) I think you love him for all the right reasons x

Noa April 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Beautiful comment-thank you for sharing that. And the bic pen only came after he attempted a few by hand–he’s the best.

Lianne Marie Binks April 6, 2011 at 6:42 am

I love cake. Cake is my love. *laughs*
I think my anti-mushy proposal is probably better than any of the genuinely romantic things that The Boy has done for me.
Lianne Marie Binks recently posted..In times of war and stress

Noa April 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Cake is absolutely delightful–and it doesn’t argue back. I know what you mean about the anti-mushy proposals. I wore my twist tie engagement ring right up to the day we got married. It’s now in my jewelry box. I would save it in a fire.

hoodyhoo April 6, 2011 at 7:04 am

awwww… you’re such a girl
hoodyhoo recently posted..Thea Maenadi

Noa April 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I get all mushy sometimes. It’s rare, like a sasquatch, but there you go.

hoodyhoo April 8, 2011 at 6:46 am

I just figured you’d done something embarrassing and/or inappropriate(to others) and needed to suck up a little to apologize! : )
hoodyhoo recently posted..A Day in the Life

Noa April 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

DAMN YOU HOODY. That’s absolutely correct.

Rebecca Rhielle April 6, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hmmm…

I love that the first thing she said to me after our first night together was, “You owe me $24.95.” (And no, I’m not a hooker – it’s a website joke. Why? What have you heard?)

I love the fact that when life gets so crazy that I am ready to sell the children and burn the house down, she grabs me by the waist and dances me around the kitchen, saying, “It’s just life, baby. You just gotta dance through it.”

I love that I can totally lose my shit over something really stupid, and she’ll simply stare at me until I run out of breath, then ask, “Ya done?” instead of arguing and/or committing me to a mental facility.

I love the fact that she can burn water when attempting to cook, gives me a deer-in-headlights-look when I ask her to please feed the children if I have a meeting at night (again, not a hooker), and that I never have to worry about filling up empty air because she could talk a statue to life.

I love that animals and children are naturally drawn to her, because it means she has a beautiful soul, and I love that when I am my most bitchy self she will do a stupid dance with nothing on but boxers and a wife beater to make me laugh.

And lastly, I love the fact that nothing I do – grumpy mornings, messy house, lying naked in the backyard just to feel the moonlight, visiting a church, legs that are way past shaving-time, postulating on the origins of the universe, dying/cutting/perming my hair without warning, making plans without asking her first, forgetting to make her lunch, drinking all the coffee before she wakes up, etc., etc. – NOTHING ever makes her stop loving me, or stop wanting to be my partner for the rest of her life.

I mean, seriously. You can’t put a price on that. Unless it’s $24.95.

Noa April 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm

The best $24.95 you ever spent. This was beautiful–thank you.

elizabeth- flourish in progress April 6, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love that Harv thinks I’m a good person, a great mom and a wonderful wife, even though I’m none of those things. He tells me every day that I’m awesome. Sometimes, it makes me want to shake him for being so blindly optimistic, but mostly, I’m so fucking grateful that at least one person out there sees what kind of person I could really become if I stopped doubting myself so much.
elizabeth- flourish in progress recently posted..Monday Dare- Sha-nasty Poof Poof

Noa April 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

The really perfect part about this comment is that you say, “I’m so fucking grateful that at least one person out there sees what kind of person I could really become if I stopped doubting myself so much,” and then your commentluv link reads, “Sha-nasty Poof Poof.”

Harv believes you really could become Sha-nasty Poof Poof.

Renee April 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

Man o man. I wish I had a great love story like this. Instead, I’m 40 and one year out of a divorce… already burned down the rebound gig and currently on to my next victim of LUH-UHVE…

Of course, this one could be “THE ONE”… he does stick around despite my insane obsession with trashy reality TV shows and finding the perfect “age defying” face cream… so he’s either “THE ONE” or just really clueless… jury’s still out. (Hey! It’s only been 6 months!)
Renee recently posted..Watch out! I’m better and I’m on a roll…

Noa April 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I don’t have what you would call a “fairy tale love story,” but I don’t think I’d want one either. This ridiculousness is wonderful. I’m sorry to hear about your divorce–but fuck ‘em–you got a good one now.

Mom Of Wild Ones April 8, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love the fact that he held the door open for me, as he was leaving the gym. Just to come back in and help me pick up the diaper bag. Then helped me wrangle my 3 little children into the nursery. It wasn’t love at first sight. My heart was hardened and my spirit was a bit crushed after a nasty divorce.

I love that I finally gave in and went on a date with him. I love that GOD made penises in different sizes. It was wonderful, I didn’t know how wonderful it could be.

I love that although he understood and agreed that I was not interested in having anymore children after we married. He gave me 2 more beautiful babies.

I love that my spirit now sings and my heart glows.
Mom Of Wild Ones recently posted..Funny Friday

Noa April 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Awwwww…..I love it. Especially the penis parts.

noa fan April 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love this post – your relationship sounds very much like my own with my husband. I sincerely doubt there is a man on the planet other than my husband who will put up with my shit. We’re some lucky ladies!

Noa April 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Truly, truly lucky.

Megan P April 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

First: As of right now I am loving him for driving back to Texas to get my dog – whom he loves very much. I love the fact that he enjoys my family and our craziness and will call my mom randomly just to talk (Yes he is that kind of guy and that kind of goober). I love the fact that we met at puppy training class in PetsMart and the way he snuck up behind me to “Pet my dog” and instead scared the beetle juice out of me – it was not at all creepy and weird…. ok maybe a tad.

I am so grateful that he can look at me and see my flaws but still call me beautiful. I am thankful that he loves me even if I get upset over him for ordering food wrong. I love that he proposed to me after my long flight to our home town with my parents there- just last December B.T.W :)

I love him for loving me and seeing me for me and I love him no matter how frequent I think “Oh he is such a pain in my rear!” because that’s where cupid hits you right?

Well if not then they need to correct that in the movies…

Noa April 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

First off: I love love stories that include dogs. What I mean to say in that very confusing horribly designed sentence is that I thoroughly appreciate love stories surrounding those of the canine variety.

And now I sound like you told me a love story between you and your dog. Decidedly more creepy that being scared at PetsMart (or PetSmart? So many questions).

He sounds like a helluva man–thank you for sharing your story.

Megan P April 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Unfortunately the only ones having an out of species relationship, which is beyond healthy right?, is my dog and her “boyfriend” (who just happens to by my fiance) … Hussy dog. Though I do thank you for making it sound like she does love me even though I know the truth *sigh* Her love for me is food/weather/comfort conditional. But that is ok.

Keep on writing Noa because you are a highlight of my day when I get to read your blog! Oh and by the way the post you made awhile back about you having the fear of not being on time and leaving Adrian on the platform… Yes that is me and from a direct quote from my fiance ” OH MY GOSH MEGAN! That is you!… You would so leave me and then say that!” That was one of the best moments!

Noa April 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm

My cat only loves me if Adrian isn’t home. When he gets home, I don’t even exist.

Thanks for the compliment! I’m glad we can share in how fucked up we are. And I’ll admit, that day was a shining moment of my marriage.

Kristy May 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That was so adorable :) Seriously made my day :) Reminds me so much of my fiancee and I :) The one who I’ve known forever, and we both had little kid crushes in 6th grade, started dating freshman year… :) Now at 23 we only have 1 month left! :D

Noa May 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Awwwwww. That made MY day. And I needed that.